Thursday, April 15, 2010

Crazy, funky, fresh

Sometimes you find inspiration in the oddest places... and with this set of my work each painting had me asking "really?"  and answering "yeah, it just works".

With that said, not ALL inspiration is odd.  I stumbled upon this illustrator on commartsLinda Zacks, and just fell absolutely head over heels for her work!  I love the funky style, hand drawn work, use of colors with blacks and grays.  Somehow she manages to capture everything I have felt, smelt, and dealt with since moving here.  I told people about her for weeks.  And to be honest her style was the main inspiration for my NYC Silhouette series.

Back to the odd inspiration thing... where yes, Linda Zack's style inspired them... of course there was other things behind them too.


Inspiration
Yes, I know, it's so strange... but I started painting and this story had just happened.
I have a small obsession for silhouettes and this story just showed hope.

End Result

Inspiration
I took this while at the DUMBO Art Festival Under the Bridge, one of my 
favorite art fests I have ever been too.  Brooklyn has THE best views of Manhattan.

End Result

Inspiration
There's no real image that inspired this next one, but I also love eyes.  I am going to be
vain and say I love MY eyes.  They change colors, with what I'm wearing, when I'm out
in the sun for a day, and even when I have the winter grays.  I also have a thing for 
loud bright neon colors right now.  AND lastly this just expresses how moving
to somewhere that you have your eyes set on may be appealing by sight but has the
possibility of being different than what you expected.  Something I like to refer to
as "shiny object attraction"!  Hence the silver stamped words.  
Lyrics are taken from the Matchbox20 song "Bright Lights".

End Result

It can come from anywhere... and I live by that.  I never feel the need to explain the "meaning" behind my work.  Sometimes, it just was a moment thing, the way my brush went, the twitch my hand, the words someone whispered to me the night before... the look a stranger gave me or the horror that life may hand someone one day.  It just is, and we all have our different ways of dealing and expressing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment